|Life is Great
Welcome to the Counselor's Corner
Dear Clyde Erwin Elementary Magnet School Families and Friends,
Clyde Erwin Elementary Magnet School consists of an amazing team, teachers, administration, parent community, district and other support personnel, that work collaboratively to offer an exemplary education environment for all students. The staff at Clyde Erwin strives to nurture and meet the needs of all our students and ensure a positive school climate. We advocate for student success, encourage resolution of conflicts, promote the development of a strong sense of self-responsibility, expand academic achievement, and prepare students’ future endeavors in the 21st Century.
As the school counselor I address the developmental needs of all students through a comprehensive school counseling program based on the American School Counselor Association’s National Standards for School Counseling Programs in the areas of academic, career and personal/social development. These standards are met through classroom guidance lessons, individual student planning, responsive services, and system support – working with students through school-wide events, in the classrooms, in small groups and individually.
I am also available to conference with parents, teachers and support staff and am the school level 504 Plan contact. I am the President Elect of the North Carolina School Counselor Association an active member of the American School Counselor Association (ASCA). If you would like more information about what school counselors do, please go to the ASCA website.
Below is a preview of programs and events that will be offered this year. I hope you will be able to participate at least in conversation with your child about any of them. And as always, my door is open. Please feel free to contact me or just say “Hi”, anytime.
Elizabeth Pace Atkins, M.Ed, PMASC, NBCT
School Counselor, Clyde Erwin Elementary Magnet School
Recognized American School Counseling Model Program 2013, 2016
- Positive Behavior in School (PBIS) – A school-wide program that encourages and supports positive behavior.
- Yoga4Classrooms - An effective program, grounded in mind-body practices that fosters students' physical and psychological well-being.
- National Elementary Honor Society – 4th and 5th grade students
- Girls on the Run - a transformational learning program for girls in 3rd- 5th grade 8 that teaches life skills through dynamic, conversation-based lessons and running (after school program)
School-wide Awareness Events:
- Red Ribbon Week - “YOLO. BE DRUG FREE” 10/23-10/31/2016
- The Great Kindness Challenge - 2/20-2/24, 2017
- National School Counseling Week - "School Counseling: Helping Students Realize Their Potential" 2/6-2/10, 2017
Pay It Forward (Community Service) Events:
- Onslow Community Outreach Food Drive – Food items are collected for the Onslow County Soup Kitchen and Christmas Cheer. - (TBD) December 2016
- Pasta For Pennies - Students collect spare change to help support the The Leukemia & Lymphoma Society mission to: Cure leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin's disease and myeloma, and improve the quality of life of patients and their families. - April 2017